Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's a happy life... and someone is missing

"I will always be a woman whose first child died, and I won't give up either that grievance or the bad jokes of everyday life. I will hold on to both forever. I want a book that acknowledges that life goes on but that death goes on, too, that a person who is dead is a long, long story. You move on from it, but the death will never disappear from biew. Your friends may say, time heals all wounds. No, it doesn't, but eventually you'll feel better. You'll be yourself again. Your child will still be dead. The frivolous parts of your personality, stubborner than you'd imagined, will grow up through the cracks in your soul. .... I'm not ready for my first child to fade into history"
            Elizabeth McCracken, "An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination"

So perfectly said. If you haven't read this book yet (I'm talking to all of my baby loss mama friends), you definitely should. It's one of the few non-religious ones that I've come across - and I usually tend to gravitate toward those, and it's REALLY good.
"It's a happy life.... and someone is missing"

 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Thanks for the book recomendation

Andrea said...

Agreed, such a great book. I read it all in one night and couldn't put it down.

Mary said...

From the quote that you wrote, it sounds like it's a good book! I'm definately going to look into purchasing a copy. Thanks for the recommendation!

Lara said...

I love, love, love that book. I just finished it and had a huge smile on my face and tears streaming down my cheeks at the same time. I started to highlight passages, but then I realized I would have had to highlight the entire thing. SO GOOD.

Lara said...

Oh, and have you read "A Grief Observed" by C.S. Lewis? Also excellent.

In With the Light said...

What beautiful, sad words. I still think about you and your little one.

Post a Comment