Saturday, March 6, 2010

Typical day!?

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

This week on Show Us Your Life... we're supposed to write about our "typical day".

I just started participating in Show Us Your Life a couple of weeks ago, and I have been looking forward to seeing what the topics are for each new week. When I saw this week's topic, it really made me realize... I am aching for some normalcy my life!

Part of it just comes with the territory of being a full time student. However, one of the things (there are many... but that deserves a whole post of its own) that really angers most of us in this program, is that our schedule is not consistent. Mondays, class is at 2 until 4:45. Tuesdays, its all day long from 8:30 to 3:45. Wednesdays and fridays there's no class, and Thursdays, class is from 8:30 to 12:45.

Okay, yes... it's nice to have 2 days "off" during the school week. But this class schedule makes it essentially impossible to establish any kind of routine. At all. I don't work full time, but I know that these times make it impossible for some of my classmates who do work full time to set up their work schedules. Maybe this is especially wearing on me because this is my 5th year of college due to lots of major-switching, and I'm just so sick of the lifestyle right now. I'm totally ready for a 9-5ish job that will allow me to actually have a life.

Kurt's work and school schedules are kind of weird too, so both of our stuff together makes it hard for us to figure out when we can hang out. We usually have to turn down plans with friends because one or both of us has something work or school related at an odd time.

I guess I'm just saying... I would like to press the "fast forward" button to the last day of the semester next May, so that I can be done with this!  We moved a week ago, and our place is far from being set up yet. Mostly just because I haven't even had enough time to sleep and do homework let alone organize shelves and unpack boxes.

The last year has just been a crazy whirlwind. Getting ready for a baby takes up a lot of time. Anyone whose gone through a pregnancy will tell you that even if you aren't doing anything at that given moment to prepare for the arrival of your little one, your mind is focusing on it, making plans... etc. Then, we've been going through all of the things that come with losing Olivia, which doesn't make school or work any easier. We have moved twice (once in september, and now this time), and anyone who has moved will tell you that that's stressful and time consuming. Planning a wedding takes a lot of time... I'm just ready for a break! I'm ready to be married, for both of us to be done with school and working.

1 comments:

Meredith said...

LOL, Betsy! I can completely understand that. School is not conducive to any kind of life or decent job. I can remember just wanting to have a normal job and life where I could go to work then come home and leave my work at work. Unlike school, where you go to school then come home with it. There are days when I still don't understand how I survived... and that was almost 10 years ago.

However, remember that you and Kurt do have some sort of a routine. Not the best maybe, but it is a routine and it is the normal right now. Ya'll are making memories and years from now, you can talk about it and find the humor in some of it. What happens today is growing you into a stronger person for tomorrow.

Of course, I always found that banging my head against the desk always helped to bring some comic relief when the "normal" didn't seem quite "normal.

Love,
Mere

Post a Comment