Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Old Chicago Binge and the Consequences.

Sometimes, the best workouts are the ones that you almost skip.

Last week, I was offered my first "big girl" job. After graduation at the beginning of May, I will be working for the State as a social worker for Child & Family Services. It's honestly not the type of social work that I ever imagined myself doing, but this job is a HUGE blessing for us. The benefits are wonderful and the pay is good, and the fact that I was hired for the very first  job I interviewed for, and I get to start immediately after graduation means that we can move into our own place faster... and that I can hopefully get a new car faster than expected. Also, this means that I can have anentire new wardrobe of business-y clothes. I see this as a blessing as well, but I don't know that my husband and our bank account will see it that way :)

Anyway, we celebrated the job offer last week by getting takeout. We have been eating SO well for the past several weeks that we figured we could afford to splurge a little bit. Well, as it turns out, we splurged A LOT. We got pizza and nachos from Old Chicago. I don't know if OC lists the calories of their menu items on their website, but I sure hope not because I don't wanna know!!

I don't know about you guys, but I always feel like complete crap the day after eating a bunch of crap. I feel lathargic and totally unmotivated. I had worked out all of the other days of the week so far, and decided to skip my Thursday night Zumba class.

The class starts at 6:00, and at 5:58 I looked at the clock and started to feel kind of guilty. Then I started thinking about the relaxed, awesome feeling I have after class each time, and I jumped off the couch, ran into the bedroom and changed into my gym clothes. Luckily, our gym is located just across the street from our neighborhood.  I got there about 15 minutes after it started and had to be in the very. front. row. Actually, it was more like I was in my own row, because no one likes to be right in front of the mirror, and RIGHT next to the stage that the teacher is on.

I was slightly embarrased, but left feeling SO. GOOD. It would have been incredibly easy to stay on the couch all evening, but I'm so glad that I forced myself to get up and go.

The old betsy would have just made excuses and skipped the class.

3 comments:

Lj82 said...

Good for you, that's awesome on both the new job and the work out!

The current Laura would totally have made excuses.

Jesse R. said...

I have been following your blog for a while now and your motivation has been mine as well. I live away from friends and family so no gym buddy but coming on here and reading about your work out gives me my motivation. Haven't done as good as you (I'm down 3lbs) but I am excited at the thought of looking decent in a bathing suit this summer so thank you!!! and Keep up the great work :-)

Mary said...

Good for you Betsy! A new job is very exciting! New things to discover! I'm so glad that you were able to get such a great offer!

I know how it feels to not want to work out. I've sat on my couch and debated about running on the treadmill right next to it. Yes only a few steps away! Anyways there are times that I feel so good after working out! I think the times that I didn't want to work out and pushed myself too I did the best!

Post a Comment