Friday, March 4, 2011

soooore legs! UGH!

I am feeling a little bit discouraged, for a few reasons.

First, I ate three cookies for breakfast. Why? Oh, good question.
I have no idea.  I made a batch last night to take to my practicum today, but ended up not having to go. So I'll be taking them tomorrow. So while I was waiting for my coffee this morning, I ate a few. I started feeling guilty while I was chewing the first bite of the first cookie... but I didn't stop myself.

Why do I have no will power! Ugh, I frustrate myself so much. We are also going out to dinner and bowling with some friends tonight. Usually, we do things like this once a week, and allow it to be our "cheat day" where were eat whatever and don't go to the gym. But I'm feeling icky about eating like crap, so I'm not skipping the gym. In fact, Kurt's already there, and I'm sitting at my coffee table watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High while I wait for my ipod to charge.

Have you ever forgotten to check your iPod, and gotten to the gym only to find that it's dead? That's torture. Working out with nothing to listen to is seriously awful.

In this post from the other day where I wrote about running on the treadmill for 7 minutes, I forgot to mention that it was "legs day" for Kurt... and he talked me into doing it with him. Oh. My. God. That was on saturday... and on Monday I was still so sore that I could barely walk. I mean, I didn't do exactly the same thing as him, I reduced the weight by a LOT, but still. awful. My practicum supervisor even showed me how to massage my leg muscles by sitting on a tennis ball and rolling back and forth. It was horrible. On one hand, I felt good about it because it meant that whatever I did must be something that works, and Kurt said that everyone always feels that bad after they do legs for the first time. But on the other hand, I didn't work out on Sunday, and I skipped Zumba when it resumed on Monday. On Tuesday, I felt like I was totally half-assing it in Zumba because My legs still hurt, so anything that required jumping or high-knee moves, I barely did. After a month straight of not skipping a class or a scheduled work out unless I had a meeting or something during it, I missed three days!  It felt like crap - I could definitely tell the difference. I know that it wasn't like I was skipping because I was laying around on the couch eating cake or something, but it still made me feel like crap.

I'm having a hard time feeling like i'm back in the swing of things. I need to remind myself that I am not, nor will I ever be a former Marine, and I probably shouldn't try to work out like one. Yikes!

3 comments:

katie said...

Haha. The last sentence cracked me up. I started couch-to-5k this week with pilates on my "off days". Holy shit, I have been sore all week. I have been highly motivated, but when I'm so sore, it's hard to move on. Hang in there and don't over do it!

Amanda O'Banion said...

Haha the first part of your post cracked me up! I have had so many days like that on my weight loss journey and I am sure that I will have many more to come!

I would love for you to check out my Blubber Butt Chronicles at my blog www.theobanions.blogspot.com. It chronicles my own weight loss and muscle toning journey. Have a great weekend!

Mary said...

I've had my ipod go dead twice during two 5ks. Ugh. I was so upset because with both I found out after they began the race. Since I have a nike+ monitor connected to it to record my runs I didn't start it up until the last minute. I was so upset I wanted to give up both times :/ I just don't feel motivated without music.

Anyways, I think running is very good! 7 minutes is great! I started running 3 mins in June and worked my way up to 40mins of just running. It tones up your legs, abs, and arms. It won't tone like weights do but you can definitely see an improvement. You can document your runs/walks at dailymile.com if you're interested.

Documenting my work outs really helped me because I was able to see what I was doing and improve my times/reps.

You'll get back into things in no time :) The first days of soreness are always the worst :/

Post a Comment